Before you can even begin to Scientifically Justify a Belief in the Existence of a Legendary or Mythological Creature, several Criteria must be met.
1) What Type of Physical Evidence are you using to back up the Claim? Is it still Available for Study and Analysis by Independent and Qualified Researchers, who have access to the Best Technology?
2) How was any and all Evidence Obtained?
The Who, What, Where, When and How Set of Questions that can Validate or Invalidate any Conclusions regarding the Reality of the Creature in Question?
3) Is the Evidence best explained by the Introduction of a Previously Unknown Member of the Natural World, or do the Laws of Probability Indicate a more likely Solution?
4) To what Degree are you Relying on Anecdotal or Eyewitness Testimony to Support a Conclusion that Asserts the Existence of a Real and Tangible Entry into the Animal Kingdom?
5) If these Creatures Exist in the Wild, and their numbers are Large Enough to Populate an Extended Area or Region, how many must be living to Overcome the Problem of Genetic Diversity?
Remember, much of what you see on Television regarding Cryptozoology is Virtually Worthless, from a Scientific or Critical Thinking Perspective. These Shows present Certain Speculative Ideas as the Result of Meaningful Thought Processes.
However, when you Ignore the SCIENTIFIC METHOD AND THE RULES OF LOGIC, YOU ARE LEFT WITH OPINIONS THAT ARE LITTLE MORE THAN EMPTY WORDS. THESE ARE OFTEN USED TO DUPE THE GULLIBLE AND THE DESPERATE.
A Good Start to Identifying this Line of Irrational Thinking, is to see how they stand up to the Questions that are asked above.
Real Science is done when these, and Other Pertinent Questions are Answered, and not Ignored.
In the next Installment, we will begin looking at the Different Creatures that make up the Cryptozoological World.
END OF PART 3.