|April 13, 2018|
If we want Rhode Island to succeed, we need to ensure that young people today can get the skills they need to be successful in college or to begin a career. That’s why I always look forward to the release of Kids Count Rhode Island’s annual Factbook. For policymakers, it’s one of the best tools we have for establishing benchmarks and measuring progress.
In this year’s Factbook, which was released earlier this week, we found that Rhode Island is making progress, but as all of us know there’s still a lot of work to be done. We need to do everything we can to raise wages, create jobs, and ensure that every Rhode Islander has an opportunity not just to get by, but to get ahead. That’s why I’m going to continue working with non-profit partners like Kids Count, leaders in our private sector, and officials at every level of government to ensure that the next generation of Rhode Islanders can succeed.
I’ll make sure to keep you updated on this work. In the meantime, this year’s Factbook is available on Kids Count RI's website.
As Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, Scott Pruitt has a responsibility to conduct his duties in the best interests of the American people. Yet, his unethical behavior, wasteful use of taxpayer money, and efforts to undermine the EPA’s core mission to protect our environment are unacceptable.
Since taking office, Pruitt has had multiple conflicts of interest, has refused to recuse himself on relevant issues under EPA consideration and engaged in potential anti-lobbying violations. Additionally, he has spent most of his first year in office meeting with his industry stakeholders – meetings that undoubtedly influenced his policy directives and decision-making at the EPA.
In response to these actions, I led more than four dozen House Democrats in calling on President Trump to ask for Pruitt’s resignation. You can read our letter to the President here.
Ending the Opioid Epidemic
Earlier this month, I voted to pass a government spending bill that delivers real results for Rhode Island. This includes a $3.1 billion increase in resources to end the opioid epidemic. I fought hard to make sure these funds were included, and now I’m going to continue working to ensure Rhode Island gets our fair share to ramp up our support for prevention, treatment, training for behavioral health care experts, and expanding access to the antidote naloxone for law enforcement officials who are often the first to respond to an overdose emergency.
This ongoing epidemic has inflicted enormous pain on families across our state and across America. It has ravaged the lives of folks across racial, geographic, and socio-economic lines. I’m going to continue fighting for the resources and comprehensive strategies we need to end this public health crisis.
This week, our country learned that FBI agents executed a court-approved warrant - obtained by the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York - to search the office of President Trump’s personal attorney. This is a serious development. What’s more disturbing is that, in the wake of these reports, the President appears to be using this unrelated action as a pretext to disparage Special Counsel Mueller’s investigation and openly contemplate firing him.
We are a nation of laws. No person, not even the President, is above the law. If the President attempts to fire Special Counsel Mueller, or impede his investigation in any way, it would be a clear attempt to obstruct justice and undermine the rule of law. Republicans and Democrats need to make clear that they will not allow President Trump or anyone on his behalf to interfere with or attempt to impede any of these ongoing and serious investigations.
I have been pushing for tough new sanctions on Russia ever since we learned that Vladimir Putin’s regime interfered in the 2016 US presidential election. Last week, President Trump finally agreed to impose real penalties on some of Vladimir Putin’s closest friends and family members. There’s no question that this is a high price for Putin to pay for his aggressive behavior, and we need to keep the pressure on Russia for their aggressive activities.
Now, President Trump needs to work with Congress to prepare a comprehensive strategy that contains Putin and Russia’s aggression permanently. We need to make absolutely clear that any further attempts to hurt American interests will be met with swift retribution.
As always, if you or someone you know has any questions or concerns, please call my office at 729-5600 or send me an email at David.Cicilline@mail.house.gov . You can also click here to follow my work on Twitter.
Member of Congress
- INFORMATION PAGE.
- HOME/MOST RECENT POSTS.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY.
- THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT- A SET OF QUESTIONS TO EVALUATE AN INDIVIDUALS OPINION, AND KNOWLEDGE OF THIS UNIQUE AND HISTORY MAKING LAW.*
- ETHICS AND MORALITY. HEALTH CARE. PARTS 1-3.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY. HEALTH CARE. PARTS 4-5.
- FEATURE ARTICLES. DESTROYING PLANNED PARENTHOOD- A DESPERATE ACT BY THOSE WHO DON'T CARE? PARTS 1-2.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY- WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FORGIVE? PARTS 1-2.
- FEATURE ARTICLES.
- FEATURE ARTICLES II.
- LOGIC: IT'S NOT JUST FOR VULCANS, AND VIEWERS OF T...
- FEATURE ARTICLES. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FOLLOW TH...
- LOGIC. WHY SHOULD WE STUDY LOGIC? PARTS 1-2.
- LOGIC. HOW CAN YOU SPOT A WELL REASONED ARGUMENT, OR AN IRRATIONAL ONE? PARTS 1-3.
- MORE LOGIC ARTICLES.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. THE WORLD OF CRYPTOZOOLOGY. PARTS 1-3.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. AMONG THE MISSING- INTRO., Parts 1-2.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. BERMUDA TRIANGLE. PARTS 1-5.
- CRIME AND PUNISHMENT- ORGANIZED CRIME PARTS 1-5.
- QUICK HITTERS.
- WORTHWHILE OR WORTHLESS- A CONSUMER GUIDE TO AVOID...
- CONSUMER GUIDE.
- WHAT A SHAME- HUMILIATION TELEVISION; IT DOESN'T...
- WHAT A SHAME- A look at the low points in the modern media.
- THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION- SOMETHING IS VERY ...
- THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION- SOMETHING IS VERY...
- FEATURE ARTICLES. THE HATE CHRONICLES. THE KEYS TO UNDERSTANDING THE MINDSET, MOTIVATIONS, AND GOALS OF THE FAR RIGHT FANATIC. PARTS 1-2.(ABBREVIATED F.R.F.)
- PORTRAITS OF EVIL- INTRODUCTION, AND PART 1.
- PORTRAITS OF EVIL- WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE EVIL? PARTS 2-3.
- FEATURE ARTICLES. THE POLITICS OF PREJUDICE. PARTS 1-4.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 1-5.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 6-8.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 9-1...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. REWARD FOR TH...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND OF THE VANISHING LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS. PARTS 1-6.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND ...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND ...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON. PARTS 1-4.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON...
- Fiction-, Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. NIGHT IN A ...