It seems that this Type of Mindset will often Deliberately Ignore More Rational and likely Scenarios, to Promote Explanations that are, At Best, A Wild Stretch of the Imagination. This is sometimes a Desperate Attempt to explain Disappearances, that Quite Simply Don't leave enough Evidence to Supply a Definite Explanation.
To Illustrate what I mean, consider the Fate of the Aircraft Nicknamed:
THE STAR DUST was the Nickname of a BRITISH SOUTH AMERICAN AIRWAYS AIRCRAFT that Crashed into a Mountain in the ANDES on August, 2, 1947.
However, at the TIME OF THE CRASH, This was not Known. THE PLANE- AN AVRO- LANCASTRIAN, REGISTRATION # G- AGWH, Had Radioed into SANTIAGO, CHILE, (ITS FINAL DESTINATION, IT TOOK OFF FROM BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA.), that it would be landing within minutes. Nothing Further was heard from the FLIGHT CREW, and it was Presumed Lost and Missing.
An Extensive Search was conducted by OTHER BSAA AIRCRAFT, AS WELL AS THE CHILEAN AND ARGENTINE GOVERNMENTS. Nothing was found at the Time in Terms of Wreckage, or a possible Crash Site. This is where the Case stood for about Fifty Years.
Through the Years a number of Explanations were Put Forth, Contributing Various Scenarios about the Final Fate of the STAR DUST. They Included the Possibility of SABOTAGE, OR AN ENCOUNTER WITH A UFO. Unfortunately, All Speculations led to nothing.
However, in 1998 Physical Evidence came to light from an Unrelated Activity, and just plain luck.
(THIS IS THE FLIGHT THAT PRODUCED THE "STENDEC" LEGEND. I am not going to Address this Story, because I Feel it is a NON- ISSUE IN EXPLAINING THE ACCIDENT, BOTH THE CIRCUMSTANCES AND THE CAUSE.)
THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. AMONG THE MISSING- PT 2. WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
So what happened to the STARDUST? Sorry, but it wasn't a PARANORMAL EXPLANATION many were hoping for.
In 1998 Two Mountaineers were climbing MT. TUPUNGATO, which is located about 50 Miles East of Santiago. At an Elevation of Approximately 15,000 Feet They found Wreckage located on the Tupungato Glacier.
The Debris included the Remnants of an Aircraft Engine, along with Pieces of Metal and Clothing.
The Argentine Amy sent an Expedition to the Site in 2000, to Further Investigate the Origin of the Wreckage Already Found, and see if there was anymore present at the location.
The Results of the 2000 Expedition included Finding; Human Remains , A Damaged Propeller, and Tires that were still Inflated. This Information was not mentioned by the Mountaineers in relating Their 1998 Discovery of the Site.
Further Analysis of This, and Other Evidence from the Crash Site, proved that it was the Remains of the STARDUST, and its Passengers and Crew. However, it also provided Tangible Physical Evidence about the Final Moments of its ill-fated Flight.
- The Aircraft Wreckage was Localized to a specific area, ruling out a Mid-Air Explosion or Collision.
- The STARDUST Hit the Glacier Head- On, Effectively Burying it in Tons of Ice and Snow. It Wasn't until Movement by the Glacier, and the Melting that Occurred at Lower Altitudes, that the Remnants of the Crash became Visible, and Recoverable. Given the Slow Process of These Natural Events, it took Decades for this to happen.
- The Condition of One of the Recovered Propellers, and Evidence that the Wheels were still not down in preparation for a Landing, Lent Credibility for the Initial Judgment about the Cause of the Crash, which would explain the Lack of an Emergency Call from the Flight Crew Indicating Imminent Disaster:
- CONTROLLED FLIGHT INTO TERRAIN.
Look for Part 3.
THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. AMONG THE MISSING- PT 3. WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
CONTROLLED FLIGHT INTO TERRAIN.- Is Basically, When an AIRCRAFT HITS OR CRASHES INTO ANY PART OF THE EARTHS SURFACE, with the Pilot or Aircrew Failing to take Corrective Measures to Avoid this Catastrophic Event.
Evidence Usually Indicates that the Aircraft was Operating Normally, at a Speed, Altitude and Course that would be expected under Normal Circumstances, GIVEN THE IN FLIGHT INFORMATION THAT THE AIRCREW WAS BELIEVED TO BE ACTING UPON. IN OTHER WORDS, THEY NEVER SAW IT COMING.
Does this mean that They were Incompetent, Under the Influence, or Even Suicidal? NO. Unfortunately, Sometimes TIME, SPEED, AND LOCATION, AMONG OTHER THINGS, CAN BE MISCALCULATED DUE TO CHANGES IN THE WEATHER, ATMOSPHERIC PHENOMENA, OR THE AIRCRAFTS PERFORMANCE WHILE IN FLIGHT.
Perhaps, the Best Way to Solve the Riddle of why the STARDUST CRASHED WHERE AND WHEN IT DID, IS TO FIRST LOOK AT THE AVAILABLE DATA, AND SEPARATE THAT INFORMATION WE CAN REASONABLY INFER TO BE TRUE AND ACCURATE
In the Case of the STARDUST, We do Know the following about the CREW AND THE AIRCRAFT:
- THE AIRCRAFT WAS AN AVRO- LANCASTRIAN, WHICH WAS A WORLD WAR 2 BOMBER CONVERTED FOR PEACE TIME USE.
- ON BOARD AT THE TIME OF THE DISAPPEARANCE WERE SIX PASSENGERS, AND A CREW OF FIVE.
- THIS FLIGHT CREW WAS EXPERIENCED, WITH THE CAPTAIN, FIRST AND SECOND OFFICERS, AND THE RADIO OPERATOR BEING WORLD WAR 2 VETERANS OF THE R.A.F. (ROYAL AIR FORCE.), BEFORE ENTERING CIVILIAN SERVICE. THERE WAS ALSO A FLIGHT ATTENDANT ABOARD TO HANDLE THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT.
- THIS WAS THE FINAL LEG OF A FLIGHT THAT WAS INITIATED IN LONDON, AND DESIGNATED *BSAA FLIGHT CS59.
* BRITISH SOUTH AMERICAN AIRWAYS.
LOOK FOR PT 4, THE AIRCRAFT GOES MISSING.
What Caused the STAR DUST to go Missing?
The Flight left Buenos Aires on 1:46pm on August, 2nd, 1947.
The Flight was Uneventful, and at 5:41pm, Radio Operator Dennis Harmer sent a Message by Morse Code to the Santiago Tower that They expected arrival at 5:45pm. ( Here is the place where the word STENDEC was Transmitted, and repeated when the Santiago Operator did not Understand the Term. As I Related in an earlier Post, the meaning has never been Satisfactorily Explained, but there is no Evidence that it had any Bearing on the Crash.)
That was the Final Message sent by the STAR DUST, the Aircraft never arrived.
An Extensive Search was Conducted by Argentine and Chilean Authorities, as well as the Airline Itself. However, Nothing was found to indicate where the Aircraft had gone down, as well as the cause.
At the Time of the Disappearance, here is what we REASONABLY KNOW TO BE TRUE;
- AIRLINE- BRITISH SOUTH AMERICAN AIRWAYS.
- TYPE OF AIRCRAFT- AVRO- LANCASTRIAN.
- REGISTRATION #G-AGWH.
- # OF CREW- 5, # OF PASSENGERS- 6.
DEPARTED- BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA AT 1:46PM.
DESTINATION- SANTIAGO, CHILE.
FINAL MESSAGE RECEIVED BY SANTIAGO AIRPORT AT 5:41PM.
AT NO TIME DURING FLIGHT DID THE FLIGHT CREW SEND ANY
KIND OF DISTRESS/EMERGENCY CALL.
REMAINS OF THE CRASHED AIRCRAFT, AND THE LOST CREW
AND PASSENGERS, WERE DISCOVERED IN THE LATE 1990s ON
THE GLACIER LOCATED AT THE 15,000 FOOT LEVEL OF
MT. TUPUNGATO. THE MELTING SNOW AND ICE UNCOVERED
THIS EVIDENCE, WHICH HAD BEEN HIDDEN SINCE THE CRASH.
THE SITE IS ABOUT 50 MILES EAST OF SANTIAGO.
ALL REMNANTS OF THE DISASTER WERE LOCALIZED TO A
SPECIFIC AREA. EXAMINATION OF THE PROPELLERS AND
LANDING GEAR INDICATED A CONTROLLED FLIGHT INTO TERRAIN.
THE FINAL CHAPTER WILL REVEAL THE MOST LIKELY CAUSE(S)
OF THE CRASH.
KEEP IN MIND THE FOLLOWING TERMS;
- BAD WEATHER.
- THE JET STREAM.
- GROUND SPEED vs AIR SPEED.
- THE ANDES MOUNTAINS.
See Part 5.