NAME- USS CYCLOPS.
YEAR LAUNCHED- 1910.
DISAPPEARED, ASSUMED LOST AT SEA- MARCH, 1918.
SHIP TYPE- COLLIER.
OWNER- COMMISSIONED BY U.S. NAVY IN 1917.
DISPLACED- 19,360 TONS.
LENGTH- 542 FEET.
BEAM- 65 FEET.
SPEED- 15 KNOTS.
SHIPS COMPLEMENT: WAR TIME - 236 OFFICERS AND ENLISTED. (NUMBER EXCLUDES PASSENGERS.)
CARGO AT TIME OF DISAPPEARANCE- MANGANESE ORE.
ALTHOUGH NOT CONSIDERED A COMBAT VESSEL, CARRIED AN ARMAMENT OF 4 X 4 INCH GUNS.
THE USS CYCLOPS is an Intriguing example of a Ship considered to be a "VICTIM" of the BERMUDA TRIANGLE.
- It remains the Largest Loss of Life in the History of the U.S. Navy, in an incident not involving Combat.
- While the Above Information is now considered Factual, the CYCLOPS Disappeared during WORLD WAR 1, and was at one time considered to be a possible victim of a U- BOAT attack.
- The Commanding Officer at the time of the Disappearance, LT. COMMANDER GEORGE WORLEY, had a reputation as being an Eccentric and Unorthodox Officer.
- One of the Passengers during its Last Voyage was ALFRED GOTTSCHALK, the U.S CONSUL- GENERAL IN RIO DE JANEIRO. It was said that he and WORLEY held views that were sympathetic to GERMANY, at the time at War with the U.S.
- Since the CYCLOPS Disappeared without a Trace, different Theories have been put forth to explain what happened to her. They Range from Traditional Explanations that are usually associated with the Loss of a Ship at Sea; Sunk By A Storm, Engine or Structure Failure, Struck a Submerged Object etc., to the Fantastic and Bizarre; Mutiny, Piracy, Water Spouts, Giant Sea Creatures, and of course the old stand by- UFOs.
- The CYCLOPS also had Two Sister Ships, the PROTEUS and the NEREUS, that later also Disappeared without a Trace.
So, with this information, lets look at the Legend as it pertains to the BERMUDA TRIANGLE.