This post could just as easily have been published on A PAGE DEALING WITH ELECTION ISSUES. However, it does deal with Invalid and Faulty Arguments that violate the rules of Logic and Critical Thinking. So I have placed it here.
How many of us have run into the line of reasoning, that the following are examples of;
- "IF WE PASS GUN CONTROL LAWS, THEN ONLY THE CROOKS WILL HAVE GUNS."
- " ALLOWING IMMIGRANTS INTO THE U.S. WILL RESULT IN DISEASES LIKE EBOLA SPREADING ACROSS THE COUNTRY."
"GAY MARRIAGE BEING MADE LEGAL WILL RESULT IN AN INCREASE OF CHILD MOLESTATION AND BESTIALITY BECAUSE NO SEXUAL ACTS ARE AGAINST THE LAW ANYMORE."
These are all examples of:
THE FALLACY OF ASSUMING THE CONSEQUENCE- WHEN YOU ASSERT THAT A GIVEN ACTION WILL AUTOMATICALLY RESULT IN A SPECIFIC CONSEQUENCE. THIS IS DONE WITHOUT ANY REASONABLE EXPECTATION THAT ONE NECESSARILY FOLLOWS THE OTHER.
Problem #1- It Assumes Facts, not in Evidence- There is no foundation for one to conclude that creating guidelines for Gun Ownership, Entry into the U.S. for Foreign Nationals, or Legalizing Same Sex Marriage, would result in the predictions claimed in the above examples coming true.
- Gun Control does NOT MEAN GUN ELIMINATION. Legal ownership is not prevented by law.
- Medical Evaluations are part of gaining Legal Refugee Status. Further, There is no evidence that foreign nationals are any more or less likely to be infected with any contagious diseases that are found inside the U.S.
- The Legalization of Gender Identical Marriage does not create blanket amnesty for anyone engaging in sexual acts already prohibited by law.
Problem #2- Claiming a Causal Relationship, where one doesn't exist.
- Many Laws on the Books inside the U.S. allow all Americans to earn or receive licenses required to legally own and/or operate certain Mechanical Devices such as Vehicles, Construction Equipment , Medical Diagnostic Tools etc. Requiring someone to have the Knowledge, Ability and Mental Capacity to operate such things are not considered intrusions into Individual Rights and Freedoms. There is no precedent that Firearms would be treated any differently.
- The Idea that Citizens of other Countries are not properly Immunized compared to American Citizens is not always true, especially if we are speaking about those who are from Nations in North, South or Central America. It is an amazing comparison, considering the number of irrational exemptions inside the U.S., that allow a parent not to have a child immunized.
- That the idea of Same- Sex Married couples being so different from Hetero-Sexual ones, that legalization of such unions will cause a complete breakdown of Sexual Mores within the U.S. is without any rational foundation. There is not one shred of credible evidence that such a result is even possible.
I guess it leaves us with Two basic types of Candidates for elected office:
The Candidate who wants you to fear the opposition before you vote, or
The Candidate who wants you to understand the opposition before you vote.