Every day in Congress, I fight for the priorities that I know are important to Rhode Island. Yesterday, I voted to approve the federal government spending bill because it’s great for Rhode Island and advances those priorities. This bill is a victory for working families, small business owners, seniors, students, and first responders across Rhode Island.
The spending bill increases funding to support manufacturing, rebuild our crumbling infrastructure, and put more Rhode Islanders back to work in good-paying jobs. I’m also pleased that it increases funding for afterschool programs, early childhood education, financial aid for students, including Pell Grants, and programs to prevent childhood lead poisoning that will benefit children and families. It provides for increased funding for police officers and firefighters. It ensures veterans get the mental health care they need and helps seniors with the burden of high energy costs. It’s a good deal for working families.
March for Our Lives
I am looking forward to joining more than a thousand Rhode Islanders on Saturday at the State House for the March for Our Lives. This national movement - started by the students who survived the recent Parkland shooting in Florida – is demanding Congress and elected leaders across the country take meaningful action to prevent these kinds of tragedies from ever happening again.
The Republican leadership in Congress continues to refuse to take any action on even a single bill to address gun violence. But thanks to the leadership of these remarkable young people, I’m confident that this time is different.
I urge you to join us on Saturday at 1pm to make your voice heard.
Last week, it was reported that Cambridge Analytica, a political data firm, harvested the personal information—including location, political views, religious beliefs, and online activities—of at least 50 million Americans on Facebook “to exploit what [it] knew about them and target their inner demons” and “fight a culture war in America.” Most people did not consent to the use of their data or were unaware of its misuse.
Child Care for Working Families
...I have co-sponsored the Child Care for Working Families Act to ensure that no middle class family has to pay more than 7% of their income to afford high-quality affordable child care. It would also support universal access to high-quality preschool programs for all 3- and 4-year olds and raise the wages of the child care workers who educate and protect our children. To learn more about our proposal, you can watch my remarks calling for A Better Deal here
St. Joseph’s Day
I always look forward to celebrating St. Joseph’s day! This year, I was particularly proud to join the Order Sons of Italy in America Lodge #364 in honoring Commander Thomas A. Verdi, a tremendous leader in the Providence Police Department. I have known Commander Verdi for years, and congratulate him on this well-deserved honor.
As always, if you or someone you know has any questions or concerns, please call my office at 729-5600 or send me an email at David.Cicilline@mail.house.gov . You can also click here to follow my work on Twitter.
Member of Congress
- INFORMATION PAGE.
- HOME/MOST RECENT POSTS.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY.
- THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT- A SET OF QUESTIONS TO EVALUATE AN INDIVIDUALS OPINION, AND KNOWLEDGE OF THIS UNIQUE AND HISTORY MAKING LAW.*
- ETHICS AND MORALITY. HEALTH CARE. PARTS 1-3.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY. HEALTH CARE. PARTS 4-5.
- FEATURE ARTICLES. DESTROYING PLANNED PARENTHOOD- A DESPERATE ACT BY THOSE WHO DON'T CARE? PARTS 1-2.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY- WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FORGIVE? PARTS 1-2.
- FEATURE ARTICLES.
- FEATURE ARTICLES II.
- LOGIC: IT'S NOT JUST FOR VULCANS, AND VIEWERS OF T...
- FEATURE ARTICLES. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FOLLOW TH...
- LOGIC. WHY SHOULD WE STUDY LOGIC? PARTS 1-2.
- LOGIC. HOW CAN YOU SPOT A WELL REASONED ARGUMENT, OR AN IRRATIONAL ONE? PARTS 1-3.
- MORE LOGIC ARTICLES.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. THE WORLD OF CRYPTOZOOLOGY. PARTS 1-3.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. AMONG THE MISSING- INTRO., Parts 1-2.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. BERMUDA TRIANGLE. PARTS 1-5.
- CRIME AND PUNISHMENT- ORGANIZED CRIME PARTS 1-5.
- QUICK HITTERS.
- WORTHWHILE OR WORTHLESS- A CONSUMER GUIDE TO AVOID...
- CONSUMER GUIDE.
- WHAT A SHAME- HUMILIATION TELEVISION; IT DOESN'T...
- WHAT A SHAME- A look at the low points in the modern media.
- THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION- SOMETHING IS VERY ...
- THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION- SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG. PARTS 5-8.
- FEATURE ARTICLES. THE HATE CHRONICLES. THE KEYS TO UNDERSTANDING THE MINDSET, MOTIVATIONS, AND GOALS OF THE FAR RIGHT FANATIC. PARTS 1-2.(ABBREVIATED F.R.F.)
- PORTRAITS OF EVIL- INTRODUCTION, AND PART 1.
- PORTRAITS OF EVIL- WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE EVIL? PARTS 2-3.
- FEATURE ARTICLES. THE POLITICS OF PREJUDICE. PARTS 1-4.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 1-5.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 6-8.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 9-1...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. REWARD FOR TH...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND OF THE VANISHING LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS. PARTS 1-6.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND ...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND ...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON. PARTS 1-4.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON...
- Fiction-, Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON. PARTS 8-10.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. NIGHT IN A ...