This year, thanks to members like you who have contributed generously to the American Philosophical Association, we have been able to expand the support and services we provide to philosophers and philosophy. Here are a few of the things we’ve accomplished this year:
- Awarded $25,000 through our Small Grants program to projects benefiting the philosophical community
- Provided $20,000 through our Diversity and Inclusiveness Grants program to fund projects aiming to increase the presence and participation of those from underrepresented groups
- Awarded 22 prizes and fellowships, including 2 new prizes added this year
- Released updated philosophy job market guidance documents
- Published the Guide for Undergraduate Philosophy Clubs and Groups
- Supported undergraduate diversity initiatives
- Launched the new APA Philosophy Meetings app
- Developed the APA Good Practices Guide
- Held three divisional meetings
- Joined with other learned societies to oppose program cuts and a proposal to tax tuition waivers
- Taken over the operations of the Up Directory
We’re proud of what we’ve accomplished in 2017–2018, but there is still so much more we want to do. In order to continue to promote philosophy within academia and in the public arena, we need your support.
As the end of the fiscal year approaches, I hope you will take a moment to donate to one or more of our donation funds and help us stay on target in 2018–2019. We have funds supporting diversity and inclusiveness, teaching, public philosophy, and more. We particularly appreciate donations to our general fund, which can be directed to wherever the need is greatest, and our endowment fund, which allows us to fund various grants and prizes, making them especially helpful in achieving our ambitious goals for the year ahead.
We’ve had 22 donors support the APA so far during this campaign—but to reach our goal of of 100 donors before the fiscal year ends on June 30, we need 78 more. Will you be one of those 78 donors? Help us stay on target. Donate today.
All the best,
Amy E. Ferrer