Our political system is rigged against working people. Corporate special interests have bought and paid for the Republican politicians in Washington who are advancing policies that help the wealthy and powerful at the expense of everyone else.
That’s why Senator Sheldon Whitehouse and I led 48 Senate Democrats and 145 Democratic Members of the House of Representatives in introducing legislation to expose the dark money and secret spending that is controlling American elections.
The DISCLOSE Act of 2018 would require organizations spending money in federal elections to disclose their donors, and help guard against hidden foreign interference in our democracy. It will bring a new level of transparency to our elections and ensure the American people know who is really fighting for them.
This bill is a key part of A Better Deal for Our Democracy — the Democratic plan to end the corruption in Washington that has paralyzed American politics. I will keep you updated on the work we’re doing to end the influence of corporate money, hold elected officials to high ethical standards, and make our government work for YOU.
MAKE OUR OCEANS POLLUTED AGAIN
Apparently when President Trump said he would ‘Make America Great Again,’ he wasn’t talking about Rhode Island.
The Trump administration's idea to roll back the National Ocean Policy is a terrible decision. This not only jeopardizes our environment, but makes it harder to generate economic activity through the coastal recreation and tourism that the Rhode Island shoreline attracts.
This decision is yet another example of how President Trump’s policies only hurt Rhode Islanders and make it harder for us to protect the beautiful oceans and coastline that surround our country.
MUSLIM BAN UPHELD BY THE SUPREME COURT
President Trump made it clear throughout the campaign that he wanted to limit the number of Muslims allowed to enter the United States. He put that rhetoric into action a few days into his presidency with the Muslim Ban. The Supreme Court ruling this week that upholds the President’s ban is an awful decision that undermines our security and our values.
The President's policies are making America less safe at home and less respected around the world. It is sad that the conservative majority on the Supreme Court ignored these basic facts in their decision. One day, we’ll look back on this ruling and wonder how we lost our way.
As Co-Chair of the Democratic Policy and Communications Committee and a Member of the House Foreign Affairs and Judiciary Committees, I can assure you that I will continue fighting to stop the damage that President Trump’s policies are inflicting on the United States.
We are better than this.
MAJOR SETBACK FOR WORKING PEOPLE
The American labor movement has helped build the strong middle class of our country. However, earlier this week, using a stolen Supreme Court seat as the deciding vote, corporate special interests succeeded in overturning four decades of legal precedent that have protected the rights of working people in Rhode Island and across America.
Unions are the reason working men and women have weekends off, good wages, safe working conditions, and employer-provided health insurance. Unions fought to end child labor and expand family and medical leave. Wall Street, the big banks, and big business have spent decades trying to undermine those efforts. That's why the Court’s ruling this week is so devastating.
This decision is the latest in a long line of corporate-funded attacks that negatively impact the 17.3 million public employees across our country. Teachers, law enforcement, firefighters, and public works employees are going to find it harder than ever to get ahead.
This is wrong. If you work hard and play by the rules you should be able to provide for your family, buy a home, save for retirement, and provide your kids with a better life than the one you’ve had.
In this country, we should always honor hard work with a decent wage. The American Dream was meant for all of us, not just the wealthy few. Rest assured, I am going to continue fighting for a country that’s consistent with those values.
CO-SPONSORING LEGISLATION WITH RHODE ISLANDERS IN MIND
This week, the House passed two bipartisan bills that I co-sponsored.
The Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act (H.R. 299) will give Navy veterans access to care for Agent Orange exposure, and the Credit Access and Inclusion Act (H.R.434) will help consumers who pay their utility bills on time get better credit scores.
I am proud to join my colleagues in advancing these bills, and I look forward to seeing them taken up by the Senate.
SOUTH DAKOTA v WAYFAIR
Small and locally-owned businesses have withered on the vine for decades due to internet sales tax loopholes that barred states from collecting taxes from online retailers. However, last week, that loophole was closed by the Supreme Court’s ruling in South Dakota v Wayfair. The Court’s decision is a major victory for the economic lifeblood of our communities — our locally-owned businesses.
By ending this discriminatory tax shelter for remote sellers, the Court’s decision provides equal treatment for all businesses, and reduces state budget shortfalls by providing revenue that is critical for local infrastructure investments like bridges, roads, and broadband internet access, as well as for important public services like education, health care, and law enforcement.
As an original co-sponsor of the Remote Transaction Parity Act, and as Ranking Member of the House Subcommittee with jurisdiction over this matter, I look forward to working with all stakeholders to ensure that we have a sales tax system that works for everyone.
As always, if you or someone you know has any questions or concerns, please call my office at 729-5600 or send me an email at David.Cicilline@mail.house.gov.
You can also click here to follow my work on Twitter.
- INFORMATION PAGE.
- HOME/MOST RECENT POSTS.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY.
- THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT- A SET OF QUESTIONS TO EVALUATE AN INDIVIDUALS OPINION, AND KNOWLEDGE OF THIS UNIQUE AND HISTORY MAKING LAW.*
- ETHICS AND MORALITY. HEALTH CARE. PARTS 1-3.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY. HEALTH CARE. PARTS 4-5.
- FEATURE ARTICLES. DESTROYING PLANNED PARENTHOOD- A DESPERATE ACT BY THOSE WHO DON'T CARE? PARTS 1-2.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY- WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FORGIVE? PARTS 1-2.
- FEATURE ARTICLES.
- FEATURE ARTICLES II.
- LOGIC: IT'S NOT JUST FOR VULCANS, AND VIEWERS OF T...
- FEATURE ARTICLES. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FOLLOW TH...
- LOGIC. WHY SHOULD WE STUDY LOGIC? PARTS 1-2.
- LOGIC. HOW CAN YOU SPOT A WELL REASONED ARGUMENT, OR AN IRRATIONAL ONE? PARTS 1-3.
- MORE LOGIC ARTICLES.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. THE WORLD OF CRYPTOZOOLOGY. PARTS 1-3.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. AMONG THE MISSING- INTRO., Parts 1-2.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. BERMUDA TRIANGLE. PARTS 1-5.
- CRIME AND PUNISHMENT- ORGANIZED CRIME PARTS 1-5.
- QUICK HITTERS.
- WORTHWHILE OR WORTHLESS- A CONSUMER GUIDE TO AVOID...
- CONSUMER GUIDE.
- WHAT A SHAME- HUMILIATION TELEVISION; IT DOESN'T...
- WHAT A SHAME- A look at the low points in the modern media.
- THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION- SOMETHING IS VERY ...
- THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION- SOMETHING IS VERY...
- FEATURE ARTICLES. THE HATE CHRONICLES. THE KEYS TO UNDERSTANDING THE MINDSET, MOTIVATIONS, AND GOALS OF THE FAR RIGHT FANATIC. PARTS 1-2.(ABBREVIATED F.R.F.)
- PORTRAITS OF EVIL- INTRODUCTION, AND PART 1.
- PORTRAITS OF EVIL- WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE EVIL? PARTS 2-3.
- FEATURE ARTICLES. THE POLITICS OF PREJUDICE. PARTS 1-4.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 1-5.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 6-8.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 9-1...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. REWARD FOR TH...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND OF THE VANISHING LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS. PARTS 1-6.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND ...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND ...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON. PARTS 1-4.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON...
- Fiction-, Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON. PARTS 8-10.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. NIGHT IN A ...