|August 23, 2018|
After a lifetime of hard work, Rhode Island seniors deserve to live their retirement years with dignity and economic security. That won’t happen if Republicans get their way.
On Monday, I spoke with residents at Rumford Towers where I released a new report prepared by the House Democratic Caucus Seniors Task Force on the long history of Republican attacks on seniors’ earned benefits. The record is clear - Republicans want to bring us back to the days when only some folks could afford to retire and everyone else was on their own.
Democrats know we can do better and that’s why we continue fighting For The People, not the special interests, and making sure that all seniors are able to live their retirement years with dignity and without worry that their basic needs are met here in Rhode Island and across our country.
Last year, I worked with my colleagues to craft a plan that lowered the cost of prescription drugs by allowing Medicare to negotiate with the pharmaceutical industry, cracking down on price gouging, and requiring companies to release data to justify price increases. On Monday, I also outlined the Protecting and Preserving Social Security Act, a bill that I am co-sponsoring which will extend the solvency of Social Security by decades and provide seniors with a stronger cost-of-living adjustment.
When Democrats take the majority this November, we will keep doing everything we can For The People to bring down the cost of prescription drugs and strengthen Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.
NOT A WITCH HUNT
On Tuesday, President Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort and personal attorney, Michael Cohen were each found guilty of serious offenses against the United States. They join President Trump’s former national security adviser, his deputy campaign chairman, and his foreign policy adviser, each of whom was also convicted of serious crimes. Not since Richard Nixon have we seen a presidential administration this embroiled in corruption.
Most shocking of all, Cohen confirmed under oath that the President of the United States directed him to engage in criminal activity during the presidential campaign. In light of these facts, President Trump needs to come clean and sit down for an interview with Special Counsel Robert Mueller immediately.
On another front, and with complete disregard of duty, the Republicans who control Congress have refused to exercise their constitutional oversight responsibility and have acted more like President Trump’s defense attorneys.
It is crucial that Speaker Ryan call the House back into session to pass legislation that protects the Special Counsel and ensures that he can complete his investigation. While Democrats are united in this effort, we remain in the minority. Our Republican colleagues need to finally do their job and join us in making clear that Special Counsel Mueller will be permitted to finish his work free from political interference.
It’s time to put our country first.
GROUNDBREAKING AT CENTRAL FALLS
I am thrilled to have joined Mayor Diossa, Senator Whitehouse, and state and local elected officials earlier this week for Monday’s groundbreaking in the great city of Central Falls. This event marked a critical milestone in the transformation of a vacant lot into new residential units that will consist of single and two-bedroom apartments.
Under the leadership of Mayor Diossa, Central Falls has gone through an incredible transformation these past few years. The city, once under financial distress and forced to file for bankruptcy, has turned a corner thanks to its leaders in government and the community.
Investing in our communities and making sure there are clean and safe places to live with good schools and reliable infrastructure is so important and exactly what we need to be doing to move our cities, state, and country forward.
I’m proud to have been there on Monday and look forward to seeing more to come from this comeback city.
NATIONAL HEALTH CENTER WEEK
As part of National Health Center Week, I was honored to celebrate Americas’ Health Centers and receive the Health Center Superhero Award from the Rhode Island Health Center Association this past Monday.
Community health centers are a vital part of our healthcare network by providing high-quality, affordable health care to tens of millions of Americans each year, including hundreds of thousands of Rhode Islanders. Most importantly, they provide critical access to our most vulnerable Americans. As healthcare and the cost of prescription drugs skyrocket we need to remain committed to making sure that everyone is able to access healthcare, regardless of income.
It was my honor to participate in this event, as well as recognize health centers and the people that work in them for the great services they provide to their communities.
As always, if you or someone you know has any questions or concerns, please call my office at 729-5600 or send me an email at David.Cicilline@mail.house.gov.
You can also click here to follow my work on Twitter.
Member of Congress
- INFORMATION PAGE.
- HOME/MOST RECENT POSTS.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY.
- THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT- A SET OF QUESTIONS TO EVALUATE AN INDIVIDUALS OPINION, AND KNOWLEDGE OF THIS UNIQUE AND HISTORY MAKING LAW.*
- ETHICS AND MORALITY. HEALTH CARE. PARTS 1-3.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY. HEALTH CARE. PARTS 4-5.
- FEATURE ARTICLES. DESTROYING PLANNED PARENTHOOD- A DESPERATE ACT BY THOSE WHO DON'T CARE? PARTS 1-2.
- ETHICS AND MORALITY- WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FORGIVE? PARTS 1-2.
- FEATURE ARTICLES.
- FEATURE ARTICLES II.
- LOGIC: IT'S NOT JUST FOR VULCANS, AND VIEWERS OF T...
- FEATURE ARTICLES. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FOLLOW TH...
- LOGIC. WHY SHOULD WE STUDY LOGIC? PARTS 1-2.
- LOGIC. HOW CAN YOU SPOT A WELL REASONED ARGUMENT, OR AN IRRATIONAL ONE? PARTS 1-3.
- MORE LOGIC ARTICLES.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. THE WORLD OF CRYPTOZOOLOGY. PARTS 1-3.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. AMONG THE MISSING- INTRO., Parts 1-2.
- THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD. BERMUDA TRIANGLE. PARTS 1-5.
- CRIME AND PUNISHMENT- ORGANIZED CRIME PARTS 1-5.
- QUICK HITTERS.
- WORTHWHILE OR WORTHLESS- A CONSUMER GUIDE TO AVOID...
- CONSUMER GUIDE.
- WHAT A SHAME- HUMILIATION TELEVISION; IT DOESN'T...
- WHAT A SHAME- A look at the low points in the modern media.
- THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION- SOMETHING IS VERY ...
- THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION- SOMETHING IS VERY...
- FEATURE ARTICLES. THE HATE CHRONICLES. THE KEYS TO UNDERSTANDING THE MINDSET, MOTIVATIONS, AND GOALS OF THE FAR RIGHT FANATIC. PARTS 1-2.(ABBREVIATED F.R.F.)
- PORTRAITS OF EVIL- INTRODUCTION, AND PART 1.
- PORTRAITS OF EVIL- WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE EVIL? PARTS 2-3.
- FEATURE ARTICLES. THE POLITICS OF PREJUDICE. PARTS 1-4.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 1-5.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 6-8.
- THE SOCIOPATH- A DANGER ALL AROUND US. PARTS 9-1...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. REWARD FOR TH...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND OF THE VANISHING LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS. PARTS 1-6.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND ...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. THE LEGEND ...
- Fiction- Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON. PARTS 1-4.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON...
- Fiction-, Stories, Myths, and Legends. THE LESSON. PARTS 8-10.
- Fiction- Stories, Myths and Legends. NIGHT IN A ...